Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Take the "A" Train

The New York subway's A train holds a special place in my heart. It was aboard the A train that I met my wife. Also, I ride the A train every weekday to my day job at The City College of New York. The stop I get off at, 145th Street, is referenced in the Duke Ellington hit tune "Take the A Train."

So I was amused to learn that Texas' fledgling Denton County Transportation Authority has named a planned commuter train from Denton to Dallas the "A Train." According to the Dallas News, the 21-mile route will use an old freight line running parallel to I-35. The first trains will use Budd Rail Diesel Cars that are over 50 years old handed down from Trinity Railway Express, the regional line linking Dallas and Fort Worth. Construction of the $314 million project could begin next month with operations commencing late in 2010.

However, the diesel-powered trains won't run all the way into downtown Dallas. Passengers will have to transfer at Carrollton to an extension of DART's Green Line to complete the 70-minute trip to downtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment